Saturday, November 16, 2013

Trying to Make Ice and Harvest

Our temperature actually dipped below zero a few days ago! Ice is trying to form on the lake, but it has been windy which kept it only on the shore for now. Here's what the lake looks like now from our front window. That grey, non-reflective stuff is ice. (Oh yeah, and the white stuff is snow!)


Steve got a deer last Saturday. We let it age a couple of days and then I processed it on Monday and Tuesday. While I was turning the deer into steaks and stew chunks and ground meat, I listened to a book on tape called Survival of the Sickest by Sharon Moalem. Fascinating!! Here's what the book description says:

"Joining the ranks of modern myth busters, Dr. Sharon Moalem turns our current understanding of illness on its head and challenges us to fundamentally change the way we think about our bodies, our health, and our relationship to just about every other living thing on earth. Through a fresh and engaging examination of our evolutionary history, Dr. Moalem reveals how many of the conditions that are diseases today actually gave our ancestors a leg up in the survival sweepstakes. But Survival of the Sickest doesn't stop there. It goes on to demonstrate just how little modern medicine really understands about human health, and offers a new way of thinking that can help all of us live longer, healthier lives."

This is my work space. One bowl is for venison chunks, one is for ground, and the other is the scrap bowl.


We ended up with about 40 pounds of processed venison. That little device on the windowsill is my MP3 player and a speaker to listen to the book.

More Brussels sprouts! I cook them by putting about a quarter inch of water in a pan with a tablespoon of butter, a little salt and pepper. Let them simmer until all of the water is gone and they start looking like they want to brown. Then drizzle a little heavy whipping cream and let it bubble a minute. YUM!


After spending two days on venison I thought I'd head out to the studio; but my computer had some problems and I spent two and a half days rebuilding it. So no studio time this last week. It looks as if we will have great light today for some photos, so I think I'll take a few photos and get a couple more items in my Etsy shop. I'll put the photos out here next week. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment