Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Studio Progress and That New Jewelry

After a couple of delays, the Menards order pulled in last week. Ted, our contractor, wasn't happy because they missed a bunch of stuff he ordered. We had another delivery show up on Sunday.


Here is what the studio looked like after the first day. We have been getting a lot of rain, so that has put some delays into the building schedule, too.


This morning they were actually shingling the roof! That's Wade up there working on the shingles. Everyone is gone for the day because another big storm moved in and more is on the way.


Meanwhile, Tim and Alisa visited last weekend. We took them fishing once the sun peeked out. This is the best - potato chips and wine hanging out on a campsite.


Tim and Steve cleaned the fish (Steve is the one actually cleaning the fish.) Well, to be fair, Tim did actually clean a few.


I promised to take photos of my new jewelry. I was in Taos, New Mexico for a week of "Clasps and Mechanisms" training. The class taught making your own closures for necklaces, bracelets, pins, and anything else that closes. We also learned to solder tiny things next to other tiny things and to make things have movement with hinges.

Here is the piece I made while in New Mexico.


But not just that - look at the "clasp"!! It's actually the necklace itself that comes apart!



After I got home I made a piece out of Mookaite Jasper. This one I made the clasp and had it attach at the back like normal, but I set a stone on the clasp, too. (The little stones at the bottom are carnelian.)




And, finally, another one similar to the one I made in class. This stone is "West Texas Agate" and I set in in copper with a brass base. The little stones at the bottom are garnet and carnelian. The necklace cord is garnet and carnelian.



Because this stone is round, I had to put a stopper on the back to position the necklace rings right where I wanted them. Without the stopper, the stone would just spin and the necklace cord would be strangely placed.

Now if I could just get into my new studio!

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful pieces Sharee!!! Love them and love the progress on your studio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patty! Can't wait for that studio to be ready so I can move in!

      Delete
  2. What fabulous pendants! I love that the clasp is part of the design/pendant - that is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete