Monday, May 20, 2013

What a Cookbook! - Contemporary Southwest by Donna Nordin

When I was in New Mexico last fall I wanted to buy a cookbook at the airport, but then I was just not in the mood to spend $30 or so when I had just spent hundreds of dollars on stones. So I forgot about it. That is, until the other day when I came across it again and bought it!


The Warm Cabbage Salad that I posted a couple of weeks ago was adapted from this book. We made a recipe last night from this book that was to die for! It is the kind of meal that if you got it in a restaurant, you would just try to figure out when you could get back to the restaurant and try it again.

I tried to get a photo to show you, but this is all I got. (Yes, I licked it.)


Shrimp Stuffed with Herbed Goat Cheese

I didn't actually stuff the shrimp. I don't have access, nor the funds, to purchase large enough shrimp to stuff. In any case, what I did works just beautifully.

1 pound raw shrimp, thawed
4 ounces goat cheese (also called chevre)
4 ounces cream cheese (full fat, please)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon heavy cream
4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno chili
Juice of one lime

Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Peel the shrimp. Place the shrimp in an oven-proof dish so that the shrimp are tightly packed in one layer (I used a nine inch glass pie pan). Bake in the oven for two minutes until barely firm. Remove from the oven.

Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix the goat cheese, cream cheese, garlic, cream, and half the cilantro together and season with salt and pepper. Take a spoon and drop little spoons of the cheese mixture on top of the shrimp. Try to get rather even with the topping of cheese. Put the shrimp back into the oven and bake until the shrimp is done - the meat should be opaque. It will take about 5 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet and cook the tomatoes until they exude their juice (about 5 minutes). Add the remaining cilantro, jalapeno, and salt, pepper, and lime juice to taste. Cook,  uncovered, until the moisture has almost evaporated.

Spoon the tomato coulis onto warm plates and serve the shrimp on top.

------------------------------------------

Tonight I have leftover chicken. I'm going to make a Red Chile Cream Sauce to drizzle on top with a nice salad on the side. Are we living, or what?



No comments:

Post a Comment