Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Ice Out and Warm Cabbage Salad

This is what the lake looked like from our living room window last weekend before the ice went out. We finally had ice-out on Sunday, May 12!


Steve went fishing all weekend and brought home two nice trout. We had them for supper last night with this recipe that I posted earlier this winter. SO good!!

I had trouble in the studio last week. No matter what I touched it would melt down or oxidize or just not work. I had to throw out piece after piece. While Steve was out fishing I wrestled the beast back into submission and here are the results.




The last one was made from one of the new silver plated platters I got. It has a totally different look than what I normally make, but that's what it's all about, right? Experimenting with new ideas.

I found a recipe for a warm cabbage salad with goat cheese. I've made it twice now. It's so good! Goat cheese is $20/lb here in town, so I used cream cheese. It was fine, but goat cheese will be better. I also didn't have pecans, so I toasted some almonds.


Warm Cabbage Salad 
(serves 8, make less if you are feeding less people! But I'd keep the bacon the same :) )

8 ounces goat cheese
1/4 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium red cabbage, cut into thin slices
1/4 cup red wine or balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup toasted pecans
6 thick slices smoked bacon, well cooked and chopped

Divide the goat cheese into 8 portions. Form each portion into a ball and flatten it between waxed paper into a disc about 1/4 inch thick. Set aside at room temperature.

Heat the oil in a saute pan. Add the sliced cabbage and saute until it begins to soften. Add the garlic and let that soften, too. Add the vinegar and stir to deglaze the pan. Season with salt and pepper.

Remove from the heat and mix in the pecans and bacon. Arrange on plates, with a round of goat cheese on top of each salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment