Thursday, January 3, 2013

How to Make Almond Butter

I've been doing a lot of homesteading lately. That means trying to make some things from scratch that I can't get locally, or at least can't get without spending a whole bunch of money. (Remember my last post of rendering beef fat?)

We always stock up on nuts when we are at a Farm & Fleet, so I have several bags of almonds in the pantry. I decided to try and make almond butter. Start with raw almonds, not roasted. Spread your nuts on a baking sheet and roast at 375 for about 10 minutes. Keep checking to make sure they are not burning - nuts will go from toasted to burned in just a second. They should look a little darker and have a nice aroma. Better to under-toast if you're scared.

Wait about 10 minutes for the nuts to cool down just so that you can handle them. Then put your nuts in a food processor with the "S" blade.


Now start grinding.


I was grinding for quite a while and nothing was happening. Not all of the nuts were getting to the blade, either. No matter how much I scraped the sides, the nuts would end up back on the sides and the blade would just whir. Then I decided to transfer some of the nuts to my small food processor and magic happened after just a short while!


I added about a half a teaspoon of coarse sea salt to the finished almond butter. Delicious!

For my next post? Homemade Ketchup! (Oh, and I promise to take photos of some new jewelry that will be in the Ely ArtWalk.)

No comments:

Post a Comment