Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cold Spell, New Fabric, and Trout

Right now it's -29 degrees. Our high today will be -8 with a 10 mph wind, dropping the windchill to -34. That's cold!! I'm sitting by the wood stove as I write this. We filled the wood box over the brim. See the gloves and Tansy's neck gaiter drying? We dry our mittens and hats by the wood stove all winter.


A friend of mine in town decided to sell all of her fabric and asked me if I'd like to buy it. She has gorgeous fabrics and I couldn't pass it up! The problem, though, was how to store the new fabric in my art room. I wanted to be able to see the fabric so that I could be inspired.

I had this paper case that I bought in Madison years ago when an art store went out of business. It was perfectly handy all these years when I was doing painting and pastel work on paper. You can see that I had already removed the bottom shelves to store a couple of bins. See how I used to store the upholstery weight fabric in that yellow bin, already overflowing?


We took advantage of the cold weekend to reconfigure the shelves. Look at my new fabric storage! I can see everything I have and be inspired! I still have some bins, but everything fits neatly inside them. We also built smaller shelves in the closet to hold silks and lining fabrics.


I also took a quick photo of my baby basil. I planted it last week in the Aerogarden. I suppose it will be big enough to take snips in a few weeks. Once the plants get a little bigger, we take those little cups off.


Steve went out fishing on Saturday and brought home a trout. The last time we cooked trout we weren't too happy with how it tasted, so we searched for a new recipe. This one was really, really good.


Tasty Trout Recipe

One large trout - enough for two people
1 lemon
3 tablespoons olive oil or bacon grease
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or basil
Salt and Pepper

Turn on the oven to 350F. Crush the garlic and put it in the olive oil (we had leftover bacon grease and used that instead - extremely yummy! Bacon and trout are a classic combination.) Pat the fish dry with a paper towel, place it on a large sheet of aluminum foil, and sprinkle salt and pepper inside and outside the fish.

Slice the lemon extremely thin, do not peel. Place slices of lemon into the cavity of the fish and drizzle some of the garlic and oil inside. Sprinkle some rosemary inside. Put the rest of the lemon slices on the outside of the fish, drizzle with the rest of the garlic and oil and sprinkle with the remaining rosemary.

Wrap the foil so that the fish will cook inside and no steam escapes (keep it loose on the fish, just fold and pinch the top and ends). Bake for 25 minutes (a little less for smaller fish, more for bigger fish). Take it out of the foil, we like to pull the skin off and take the bones out to then assemble the fish on the plate. You could just cut it and pick at it on your plate. Either way, it's tasty!

1 comment:

  1. The trout looks great. We had trout a couple weeks ago, and it didn't turn out so well. So it's going to be a while until I am brave enough to cook it again.

    ReplyDelete