Sunday, December 9, 2012

Prototypes, Brussels Sprouts, and Cauliflower Hummus

I had a request from a customer for something different for a necktie. Not a purse, maybe a clutch. We had a bit of a snow storm, so I thought I'd try fiddling with some new ideas. At first I thought maybe just a zippered pouch out of a necktie would be good.


Boring as hell. It isn't special enough for a necktie memory and it isn't fun to make. Just boring. Boring. I almost fell asleep right now looking at it.

So I went out to the lake and threw Tansy her Frisbee in the snowstorm. The ice is good now, people had been out ice skating last week. This new snow isn't squished down enough yet, so it was still super slippery this morning. While I was out there I thought, "Why not make a new pattern? Why not try to make a clutch?"

My first attempt was so-so.

The proportions are off and the flap is too short to work properly for a clutch (I didn't finish this with a button. This is bare bones prototype.)

I adjusted the pattern to make the body shorter and the flap longer; I also cut the tie end longer. There is only so much wiggle room with a necktie because you don't have a ton of fabric. Look at this one!

It turned out SUPER cute! I added a contrasting fabric for the long part of the flap because this tie was too monochrome. Unfortunately, the flap is a little flimsy. I made another one and adjusted the stiffness of the flap. This one is all from one tie.

Perfect! I'm going to make a line of these for my shop. They are so cute! Just big enough to carry in your hand for a night out, tuck into your purse, or whatever. I can be a little flashier with the fasteners, too as they tend to be more evening oriented.

I bought some Brussels sprouts while on our Milwaukee trip. Look how scrumptious they turned out just tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roasted in a 375 oven for about 35 minutes.


And then I made hummus with cauliflower instead of chickpeas. It turns out really similar to the traditional chickpea hummus, yet it doesn't give you any insulin spikes with the carbohydrates of beans. I cut up some veggies and avocado to dip into it and added some olive oil and sliced almonds as a garnish. Yum!

Cauliflower Hummus

1 head cauliflower
1 fresh lemon
1/2 cup Tahini
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt

Cut the cauliflower into smaller pieces and steam it until it is soft. Rinse it under cold water to cool it down. Put it into a food processor, squeeze in the lemon, and then add the rest of the ingredients and process until it turns into a smooth paste. That's it! You could add minced garlic if you like garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment