Sunday, November 25, 2012

Cranberry Sauce and Pumpkin Pancakes

My last post told you about making that venison bone broth. Yuck! Double Yuck. It was NOT good. We woke up that morning thinking the poor dog had had an accident. I even tasted it thinking that maybe it just had a strong, bad odor. Nope. Tasted yucky, too.

For Thanksgiving we smoked a turkey in our smoker. It turned out delicious and I made a broth from the turkey bones. Much, much better! Here is the beginnings of my cranberry sauce.


I make this sauce after watching Bobby Flay on Iron Chef America make something similar. This time I reduced the amount of sweet  to 1/4 cup and I used two bags of cranberries. My original recipe below is a little sweeter.

Sharee's Excellent Cranberry Sauce

1 bag of fresh cranberries
1/3 cup good maple syrup
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 tsp fresh crushed ginger
1 T dark rum (or bourbon)
1 finely diced jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed
1/2 tsp vanilla

Put everything into a sauce pot except the vanilla and simmer until the cranberries burst open and the whole thing looks like a thick sauce. Add the vanilla at the end.

I have not been eating any grains, so when I came across this recipe for pumpkin pancakes, I had to try it. They are really good and quite easy to make! They end up being a little more crepe-like than pancake-like.


Pumpkin Pancakes

4 eggs
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
 2 T melted butter or coconut oil (plus extra for frying)

Whisk everything together. The mixture will be very liquid.

Grease a skillet and pour the batter into the skillet to make pancakes of your desired size. When a few bubbles appear, flip the pancakes once to finish cooking. Serve with some butter and a little maple syrup.
----------------------------------------

I was at a holiday show over the Thanksgiving weekend. The show went really well. It's such a fun kick-off to the holidays. I sold this piece:


And this new one that I had just made and thought quick to get a photo before the show:


Watch my website for new pieces. I'm excited to play with more of my new stones from New Mexico!

No comments:

Post a Comment