Friday, November 16, 2012

Copper, Deer and Harissa

I said I've been working hard in the studio. It took four tries and over a week, but finally I figured out a way to make this pendant. I wanted to use copper because I like how it looks with the striations in the stone. This is a Cherry Creek Jasper stone. (Click the image and it will get bigger on your computer screen.)


I also worked with some copper to make this woodland scene pendant. The stone is called "picture marble" and I thought it looked remarkably like a north woods winter scene. I added a couple of sparkles, too.


Then I took some silver and some absolutely stunning paua shells and made this fantastic red necklace along with a pair of earrings! I almost ditched the design of this one because I had a few meltdowns, but then I muscled through it and made it work as the original design. It has 21 solder points. Each one had the potential to melt some of all of the piece!


Next up - another silver piece using some Morrison Ranch Jasper as the background stone with Spiderweb Obsidian on top. Of course, I added a bit of bling with the cubic zirconia.


We finally got a deer on Monday. Tonight begins the processing part. We process the deer ourselves and put steaks, stew meat, and ground meat into vacuum sealed portions to store in the freezer.

I bought a crock pot a few weeks ago and have been making some things in it. Today I put some skinless turkey thighs in it and poured some fresh Harissa sauce on top for the cooking sauce along with a cinnamon stick.

Harissa is a hot chili paste that is commonly found in North African cooking. Here is the recipe I use for Harissa - use this on any meat prior to cooking, or try putting a dab on cooked meats and veggies.

Harissa

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup mild ground chili (use as hot as you like or grind your own blend of chilis)
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 Tablespoon ground coriander

Mix this all together. Easy as that! Store in the refrigerator for a month or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment