Friday, August 17, 2012

Nexus and Bruschetta

Remember we're going to Italy this fall? Last time I traveled, I was really missing my computer and the ability to research things, fix flight problems, etc. I don't want to carry our large laptop around, so I did a bunch of research and landed on the Nexus 7 tablet.


I started researching between the Kindle Fire and the iPad. The iPad was just too big while the Kindle Fire seemed to maybe not be quite what we would want for the long haul. Then I stumbled upon the Nexus 7. It's Google's new tablet that runs on an android platform. So far, so good! It's really fun and will be a great companion for travel. (Only glitch so far is that it wouldn't power up on the first night while charging. I finally figured out that I had to trick it into thinking it was in bright light. I used my headlamp to shine on it and then turned off the auto-brightness feature. It was powering on, it was just confused about how bright to show itself.)

The garden is beginning to produce and the mosquitoes have finally died down. Funny for August we had a high temp yesterday of 58 degrees. It felt more like October! Look at my yummy breakfast. Fresh garden tomatoes and avocado on toast.


I made a bruschetta last night as an appetizer but we ate it too fast to take a photo. Here is the recipe, though. Just picture this - YUM!

Sharee's Feta and Tomato Bruschetta

1 good baguette sliced thin

8 oz. Feta cheese
2 T heavy whipping cream

2 garden tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 T olive oil
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove crushed

Slice your baguette into thin slices and lay them on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes just to crisp them a little on the outside.

Whip the feta and cream in a food processor or blender until creamy. Cover and refrigerate if you make this ahead of time.

Chop the tomatoes and basil and put in a bowl. Add the other ingredients and stir. Let sit for about 10 minutes to let the flavors develop.

Serve with the cheese spread on the bread and top with the tomato mixture. I usually have guests assemble their own.



No comments:

Post a Comment