Friday, June 1, 2012

Rings and Rhubarb

While I was in Taos, New Mexico, I bought some gorgeous turquoise stones at the local rock shops. I had some confidence and decided to make a ring!



I used a silver plated serving platter to make the band and backing for the stone and copper to set the stone. Here is one where I used one of my patterned platters.




This tiny stone was actually hard to set. I really liked using the design of the platter to figure out where I wanted the stone. I really like this one because it looks more refined and contemporary. I'm sizing these rings to fit me!

I had another platter that I hadn't cut yet and decided because it was smooth with no pattern that it would be great for ring bands. As soon as I fired it, all of the silver disappeared and the solid brass came out! How cool! I hadn't run across a platter yet that did this. I really like the brass and intend to do a line of brass rings and pendants.


These are all still looking pretty rustic (except the patterned platter). I have a rolling mill on order which should arrive on Tuesday. Wait until you see what comes out of that! I also have some sterling silver sheet and fine silver bezel wire ordered. Once I start using silver sheet and fine silver instead of serving platters, I'll be able to refine the pieces. They won't have the same charm as the recycled serving platter pieces, but I like refined pieces, too.

We've had frost advisories the last couple of nights; here is the garden all tucked in for the night.


The rhubarb is up enough that I pulled a couple of stalks and made a rhubarb crisp. YUM!



Sharee's Rhubarb Crisp:

about 4 cups of chopped rhubarb
1/3 cup good maple syrup
1 T crushed ginger
2 tsp balsamic vinegar

Mix all of the above and put the mixture in a buttered  pie pan

Crisp:

1/2 cup oatmeal (not quick cooking
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
6 T butter cut into small chunks

Mix all of the above with your fingers until it is crumbly (like little peas). Add a little water if you want it stickier like dumplings. Spread it on top of the rhubarb.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until the topping looks browned.




No comments:

Post a Comment