Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pizza Sauce and Year of the Mosquito

Even I can't believe the mosquitoes this year; they are worse than we've ever seen them. We take extreme measures to cover up if we dare to venture outside. I much prefer winter! I really don't understand why people like summer. I've amped up our garlic intake so that we taste bitter to the little buggers. (So far, it's a no go.)

I've been busy in the studio. I did make a few more rings. I made this one using sterling silver, fine silver, a turquoise stone that I bought in New Mexico, and three Swarovski crystals that I set in little fine silver bezels.


I fooled around with making some plain band rings in copper. I put some pattern on the larger ring with my new rolling mill. The narrower band is made from a heavy gauge copper wire that I hammered.



As I write this, I have pizza sauce simmering on the stove. It's easy to make your own and it is so much better for you than buying it in a jar or getting a frozen pizza.


Sharee's Pizza Sauce

1 32 oz. can crushed tomatoes
4 T extra virgin olive oil
2 large cloves of garlic (use 5 during mosquito season)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp red pepper flakes (more if you like heat, none if you don't like heat)

Slice the garlic into thin slices (you can chop it, but do not use your garlic crusher. For some reason it tastes best sliced or chopped here.) Put the olive oil and garlic in a sauce pan and just begin to warm the garlic and oil. Add the tomatoes, salt, and red pepper flakes and stir until the oil is incorporated into the tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and then let it bubble away partially covered until it gets thick. Stir occasionally. Drink a glass of wine and write a blog post while it simmers.

No comments:

Post a Comment