Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Loon, Zatar and Studio Revamp

We were out fishing the other day and look what I was able to photograph with our new camera. Click the photo to see it enlarged. This was a once in a lifetime shot. You NEVER have the camera ready when the loon opens its wings!


We passed this beautiful waterfall on our way to the fishing spot.


I like to bring a picnic along when we fish in the late afternoon/evening. This time I made a quick chickpea dip. I needed to use up some whole wheat flatbread and we just had a friend visit Pensey's spices. I asked her to find Zatar for me. Zatar is commonly used in African cooking.


I brushed the flatbread with a little olive oil, sprinkled the Zatar on top and then baked it in a 350 degree oven for about 10 or 15 minutes. After the bread cooled, I cut it into cracker-sized pieces and put them in a Ziploc for the boat.


This chickpea dip is a nice, refreshing change from hummus. 

Sharee's not hummus Chickpea Dip

1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
1 clove garlic, chopped a couple of times
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chopped mint
1/2 red onion, chopped (or use whatever onion you have)
1/4 lemon
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Put the rinsed chickpeas in your food processor with the garlic. Pulse until it is crumbly (a blender will make this too smooth, you want it a little rough). Stir in salt, mint and onions. Squeeze in the lemon and drizzle with olive oil. Add more or less to get a consistency you like. If you want less olive oil, add a little water instead.

I drizzled some olive oil on top before I sealed the container. Perfect snack/supper for the boat!


My rolling mill came in and a few other supplies for my metal work. Steve fixed my work table so that it no longer wobbles. He also mounted my rolling mill and made the spot for my bench pin. Here is the studio all set up and clean. The new bench pin is on the far right.


Here is the studio showing the rolling mill and what my table looks like in the middle of a project! I'm working on some new designs and will unveil them soon.


We're heading up into the boundary waters with the portage boat on Saturday looking for bluegills. I'll bring the camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment