Friday, March 9, 2012

Gnocchi Revisited

I made gnocchi a while ago and while it was good, the little potato dumplings didn't turn out very pretty. Here is the post where I show how they look.

There is some trick to forming the dumplings. They're supposed to have little ridges along them to catch the sauce. You make the ridges by "flicking" the dumpling off the tines of a fork. I think I got it!


I used a recipe from Cooks Illustrated cookbook. You start by roasting the potatoes in the oven. I actually roasted mine too long, so I ended up with less potato than anticipated. So instead of precisely weighing the ingredients like the recipe said to do, I eyeballed it. These dumplings had too little flour so after they cooked, they were much too delicate for the sauce I made to go with them. I'll keep working on it and when I get it right, I'll give you the recipe (I can guarantee that it won't be precise weighing of ingredients!).

Here's the sauce recipe. I use this or a slight variation for any pasta dish or for pizza (just simmer longer to get it thicker).

Sharee's Tomato Sauce

1/4 cup olive oil
2 large onions sliced
4 garlic cloves chopped
1 cup dry red wine
32 oz. can crushed tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste


Cook the onions and garlic in the olive oil until they are very soft (starting with a lid on the pot so that they get very soft without browning). Keep your temperature low so that they sweat rather than saute. Add the red wine and simmer the sauce until the wine reduces some. Add the tomatoes, season with a little salt and pepper and let that simmer away, uncovered, until the sauce thickens.


Meanwhile, I've been very busy in the studio. I'm still going on the assumption that I'll make it into the Blueberry Festival in July, so I have work to do every day to have enough inventory for the show. Today I'll be finishing some necklaces and earrings. I tried to find pre-made earring wires to save some time, but I just like my handmade ones best.

No comments:

Post a Comment