Friday, January 20, 2012

Serious Cold and Cookbooks

We finally hit the deep freeze this winter. Usually we start these cold temps in December. Today the high is predicted at -6 degrees. We woke up to -23. I just took Tansy out for Frisbee. In these cold temps, she has to wear booties:



The photo is not blurry, it's the steam coming from her breath. When it's this cold, the snow squeaks under your feet and when you breath, your nose hairs freeze. Here's what I looked like when I got inside:


Behind me on the right you can see our dogsled harness and Tansy's Frisbee stash. On the left you'll see a few of my wines on my fun wine rack! This is on the "porch". We're keeping the wood stove cranking to help with the heat. Needless to say, we don't use the hottub when it's colder than -15 because you stick to stuff (like metal doorknobs) when you try to come back inside.

I got a new cookbook for Christmas and a new mini-food processor! These were both on my list and I've used both quite a bit already.


If you've been reading this blog, you know that I love to cook. Here is my bookshelf with my cookbooks:


A lot of times I'll check a new cookbook out from the library and try recipes before I decide it's worth purchasing. If I could only have ONE cookbook, hands down it would be the first Gourmet Cookbook edited by Ruth Reichl (the yellow one). I liked it so much that I bought the next edition. But over and over I turn to the first one.

I was vegetarian for about eight years and I used to say that if I could only have one cookbook it would be Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. Now I eat the venison and fish that we catch. I still rarely buy meat in a grocery store. If I need bacon or something, I make Steve buy it.

I also love ethnic cooking and have cookbooks from India, Africa, Mexico, and the Middle East. Tonight we're going to have stuffed poblano chilis based on recipes in Rick Bayless's Mexico One Plate at a Time cookbook. I'll be using venison, of course. Here is the recipe on my blog if you'd like to try it - YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment