Thursday, January 12, 2012

Melting Plastic and Homemade Ginger Ale

Our high temp today was 7 so I decided it would be a perfect day to iron some plastic. Here is my plastics ironing station. The pieces laid out on the couch are ones that are finished. After melting the plastic, I sew them into bicycle bags or cut them into figures to adorn my Kindle pouches. See this blog post for more detail on how to iron plastic and how the bicycle bags look.


I decided to try to make ginger ale. I have been on a quest to find a drink that is non-alcoholic and also not sweet. I just don't like the sweet stuff like soda or even fruit juices. This is really yummy! You can put a tablespoon or two into a glass of water or sparkling water and you have a lovely, adult-tasting beverage. You control the sweet by the amount of the syrup that you put into the glass.

Ginger Ale Syrup

3/4 cup chopped fresh ginger (don't bother to peel)
1 cup sugar
2 cups water

Put this in a sauce pan and simmer for about 10 minutes. Let it cool then strain into a glass jar to keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.

To serve, put a tablespoon or two or three (your taste) into a glass with some ice. Add water or sparking water (club soda). Make it really fun with a little wedge of lime and/or a sprig of mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment