Thursday, November 3, 2011

Final Fishing and Homemade Fresh Cheese

We were able to sneak out one more time for a little fishing. I caught one fish, but it was able to finagle itself back into the lake. That's okay. Here's Tansy - her favorite thing about fishing is the lures. We have to be very careful that she doesn't get to bite one. Her other favorite thing is chasing a squirrel up a tree.


I decided to make some homemade fresh cheese to put in an Indian dish. In India this is called "paneer". It's super, super easy! You take a gallon of whole milk and pour it into a pot. Get it to just about boiling and then pour in about 1/3 cup of white vinegar or lemon juice. Here are the curds separating after I poured the vinegar:


Strain this through a cheesecloth lined colander. You can keep the liquid part (whey) and use it in baking if you like. Tie up the ends of the cheesecloth and suspend the bundle over a bowl or the sink to let it drain for an hour or so. If it looks too wet after that, you can place it between two plates and weigh down the top plate to further squish out the liquid.

Here is the finished cheese cut into cubes for the Indian dish I was making.


If you try this, let me know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sharee,

    Just can not get over the breathtaking beauty of your world.....thank you for yet another lovely blog!

    Your fresh cheese idea is super ! I've done it only once, following the suggestion of an Indian friend, how to use up surplus milk. I added Italian mixed herbs and garlic to the milk. Somehow I prefer lemon juice only. Reading your blog I can not wait to try again !

    I am not a baking woman but would like to keep the whey. Do you freeze it? On the other hand, Senta and I could just share it as a healthy drink ?

    BIG thank you( and sharing )as usual,

    Kiki x

    ReplyDelete