Sunday, September 25, 2011

Painting Class and The Porch

I took a painting class this weekend at the Miner's Dry building in Ely sponsored by the Ely Greenstone Art organization. The teacher was Spencer Hahne. You can see some of his paintings here (they are much more vibrant in real life!

Here's the photo I used as reference. Steve calls this my nemesis painting because I've attempted it every other year since I took the photo nine year ago. It's a farmer's market scene from the farmers market in the Embarcadero in San Francisco.


Here is the painting after the first three hours on Friday night.

Next is the painting at Noon the next day (four hours of painting).

And the finished painting at 4:00 (three more hours).

Whew. Talk about detail! It was fun and now I'm in the mood for some more painting. Tomorrow, though is my day trip to Duluth. I'm taking that sewing seminar in the afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Can you believe we lived with this ugly, rotten porch entrance?


Steve and Wade tore this one down and built a new one on Saturday while I was in the painting class.


We built it right up to the house to give us extra room and a place to put our boots under the eves. I can put pots of flowers on the steps in the summer, too! Next summer we'll stain it. We're battening down the hatches now for winter. This week the screen house comes down and soon we'll pull the dock.

No comments:

Post a Comment