Friday, September 30, 2011

Jewelry Making and Batoursh

I've been busy finishing some pieces of jewelry. I had them ready to go but I can't sand and polish any metal in my studio due to the dust especially now that the weather is cold and I can't open windows. We did have some gorgeous weather earlier this week, so here is my outdoor sanding station. Look at the MESS this makes!


Here's me all geared up. Even though I'm outside, I still need safety glasses, ear protection, and a face mask to keep the metal dust out of my lungs.


The outcome is fantastic, though! Here are a few new pieces. Check my Etsy store for all of the rest.





This week I made another eggplant recipe from the yummy eggplants my mom sent up to me. This is called "Batoursh" which is a middle eastern dish of ground meat with eggplants and yogurt. It looks simple, but WOW, so yummy! I don't have a photo of it because it just didn't photograph well. It's very tasty, though!

Batoursh (from Claudia Roden's The New Book of Middle Eastern Food)

3 eggplants weighing about 1 1/2 pounds
4 T extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1 lb. ground lamb or beef (I used venison)
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup pine nuts (I used pecans)
2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
3 T tahina (sesame paste)
2 cloves garlic, crushed

Cook the eggplants whole in the oven at 350 until tender. Let them cool, and then peel, chop and mash them to a puree. Beat in 2 tablespoons of the oil and a little salt.

Beat the yogurt with the tahina and garlic. (If you don't have tanina, just use garlic, it'll still be good.)

Fry the onions in the remaining olive oil in a large skillet until soft. Add the ground meat, salt, and pepper and cook, crushing the meat and turning it over for a bout 8 minutes, until it changes color. Add the nuts and cook  5 minutes more.

To serve, spread a layer of the eggplant puree (warm or at room temperature) at the bottom of a serving dish. Pour the yogurt on top, and cover with the hot ground meat and nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment