Monday, September 19, 2011

Commission, Jewelry, and Artisan Bread

I finished a commission of seven necktie purses. They turned out fantastic (as they should)! Here is a group photo of four of them.


I've also been working hard at getting more jewelry out on my Etsy shop. Today is supposed to be a nice day and I plan to take my sanding/polishing workstation outside so that I can work on some more pieces. Remember, it's hazardous to my health to do that polishing in my studio. I was hoarse for three days after the last round even though I was wearing a mask and had a fan blowing out the window. I'm going to see if I can find some sort of confined space (like a plexiglass box?) that my hands and tools can work in without that metal dust hitting the air. Meanwhile, I should have a month of decent outside weather (although it snowed already last week!).


Steve was down in Wisconsin this last weekend. On his drive home yesterday he met my mom and dad so that they could send up some things for me. Look at the giant produce! Really, it's GIANT! I put some plums in the photo to give you an idea of scale. The plums are from a tree just down the road.


Now that fall is here and the weather is cool, I'm starting my quest to bake bread. I want to be able to make a good loaf of crusty, flavorful bread. I checked a book out from the library called Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I mixed up the first batch and here it is in the fridge (next to the 7-year aged cheddar Mom found for me!).


You just leave the bucket of bread dough in the fridge for up to 14 days. When you feel like having some bread, you pull off a chunk, form it into a baguette, let it rest, and then bake it. I plan to make the first loaf today. I'll let you know what happens.

Oh, I've tried baking bread before and I get relatively okay bread. But it never tastes like the crusty loaves you find in artisan shops. I'm really good at pizza crusts, but loaves of bread have just never been right. There is no reason that I shouldn't be able to figure it out and master it in one winter. That's my goal. (Heads up, all of you neighbors. I'll need help eating all of this bread until I get it right.)

No comments:

Post a Comment