Monday, August 15, 2011

Up a Tree and Toasted Kale

I stopped by the rock shop today. We have a new shop in town that sells rocks and some jewelry making supplies. They are only open in the summer months. Anyway, they said they'd help me identify some rocks I have that I'm setting into pendants.

I'm still working on my photography for jewelry. This isn't cutting it yet, so I won't put it on Etsy. I'll work some more and see if I can get the light right. I want you to be able to see the colors in the rock as well as the actual colors of the metal along with the texture of the piece.

We had a gorgeous day fishing in the boundary waters yesterday. The fishing is still slow, but we caught enough for lunch. We pulled in to a nice campsite for shore lunch. We didn't need to entertain Tansy because there was a red squirrel in a tree. (Click on the picture to enlarge it so that you can see the squirrel.)


I made a lovely summer salad using toasted kale. If yours is ready in your garden, this was yummy. The recipe is adapted from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson.

Toasted Kale Salad

1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 T soy sauce
4 cups chopped kale, stems and large ribs removed
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut (flakes or shredded) I find shredded at Asian groceries
2 cups cooked whole grain (I had some wild rice hanging around and used that)

Preheat the oven to 350.

In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, sesame oil and soy sauce. Put the kale and coconut in a large bowl and toss well with about 2/3 of the olive oil mixture.

Spread the kale mixture evenly across two baking sheets. Bake for 12 minutes until the coconut is deeply golden brown, tossing once or twice along the way.

Place your cooked grains on a plate and top with the kale. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment