Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Porch Project and Garden Pizza

It's 5:00 a.m. and I'm awake! I guess the wind woke me up and I'm wondering if the guys will get wind-bound today. Steve is on a Boundary Waters trip with a couple of friends this week. So what do I do? Big projects! I first painted the ceiling in the porch. What a HUGE difference and why did we never do that before?


Next I painted the window frames and sills a rich "derby brown". Steve loves the paneling in the porch so I didn't do anything to that, but I did paint the hearth under the wood stove.


Why does it look dark outside the windows? Because it's 5 a.m. right now!

To the left of the wood stove is my reading chair. It's where I am right now as I write this. Directly across from the chair is Tansy's bed. That big box is our wood box. I tried an open wrought iron wood holder but it just looked cluttered.

I'm working on two new paintings for the opposite wall. I have the crappie painting from last year and now I'm making a triptych based on that painting to coordinate the whole wall. I'll post that when the project is finished.

The other day I made a pizza that was deliciously yummy. I made it by first making some dough for the crust (you could buy one of those packaged, pre-made crusts). While the dough was rising, I forgot to make the sauce. Instead I cut a garden tomato thinly and laid the slices on the crust. I sauteed an onion and mushrooms, and then spread those on top of the tomatoes. Finally I topped it with Havarti cheese.

After it baked (12 minutes at 450), I drizzled some basil puree over the top. Delicious!

Basil puree is just a handful of basil, a clove of garlic, a tsp of salt and olive oil all blended together in the blender. You add enough oil so that it can drizzle. It's a lot like pesto only missing the nuts and cheese.




No comments:

Post a Comment