Sunday, August 7, 2011

Polished Rocks and Pesto

My rocks came out of the tumbler this morning!


They've been tumbling for three weeks now since our trip to the south shore of Lake Superior. You're supposed to tumble them for four weeks, but I skipped the first week of coarse grit. I figured these things have tumbled for thousands of years in Lake Superior, so I'd just get on with the polishing phases.


I can't wait to start working with them in my studio. A few might even be ready for the Tuesday market. Okay - here's the first one made into a pendant. It's better in person!



Meanwhile, the basil is coming in strong so I decided to cut a whole bunch of it and make pesto. We ate it for supper last night spread on a nice whole wheat baguette with a glass of wine.


Pesto is one of the easiest things to make and it's so good!

Sharee's Pesto

A big bunch of basil (I must have had about six cups of leaves)
1 cup pecans (most recipes call for pine nuts, I used almonds this time because pecans are crazy expensive right now)
1 cup shredded Parmesan
2 garlic cloves crushed
1/2 cup olive oil

Put the basil, nuts, shredded Parmesan, and garlic in a food processor and pulse until everything is nicely chopped and blended. Don't use a blender or you'll get a paste instead of a nice texture.

Put the mixture into a bowl. Add the olive oil and taste for salt. I don't use much salt because the Parmesan gives it quite a bit.

Spread it on bread, crackers or toss with pasta. Or add a fresh, sliced tomato to the bread and top with some pesto. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment