Sunday, July 24, 2011

Whale Bone Fish and Malvani Fish Curry

I was at the market last week and a woman brought me this whale bone fish pendant and asked if I would consider turning it into a necklace for her.


She got it in Alaska and always wanted to wear it like a pendant, but didn't like wearing it with just a string through that hole. She would prefer the fish to be horizontally oriented. So here's what I made for her.


I soldered a copper bezel onto a copper back so that I could "set" the fish into the pendant. I fired it to give it a nice patina and then added some Swarovski crystals to hide the old hole and give it some sparkle. Pretty cool!

We had our first ripe tomato! No others are any where near in sight.


I checked out a new cookbook from the library, How to Cook Indian, by Sanjeev Kapoor.

Steve had been out fishing and brought home some fish, so we tried a new recipe from the book - Malvani Fish Curry (A rich and spicy fish curry). I had to modify it a little due to the level of heat it was going to have. I'll show you the real recipe, and also my modifications.


Sharee's version of Malvani Fish Curry


1 lb fish - the book wants kingfish, pomfret or mackerel; we used bass and northern
1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
4 or 5 dried red chilies, stemmed (I used ONE!)
3/4 cup grated fresh coconut (I used grated coconut from a package - unsweetened!)
2 medium onions, chopped
6 to 8 whole black peppercorns (I ground the pepper - Steve doesn't like debris in his food)
1 T tamarind pulp (I used 1 T tamarind concentrate from a jar)
2 T vegetable oil (I used 2 T ghee)
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 green chilies, stemmed and slit (I didn't have any, so I didn't put these in)

Cut the fish into 1 inch thick cubes and put in a bowl. Add the lemon juice and half the turmeric and the salt and stir well. Cover the bowl and put it in the fridge for 15 to 20 minutes to marinate while you make the other part.

Put a large sauce pan on the stove and dry roast the cumin and coriander seeds for a couple of minutes until they are fragrant. Let cool, then transfer to a food processor or blender with the dried chilies, the remaining 1/2 tsp turmeric, the coconut, half of the onions, the pepper, tamarind pulp, and 1 cup water and process to a smooth paste.

Heat the oil in a pan (same one you roasted your spices in) and add the onions. Saute for a few minutes until lightly browned. Add the tomato and green chilies (if using) and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the coconut paste that you made and cook over high heat for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup water (the recipe said to add 1 1/2 cups water but I could tell that would be like a soup) and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium, add the marinated fish, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. Serve hot.

We sopped it up with sourdough bread - not very Indian, but then we live in Minnesota!

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I am looking forward to trying it soon. Many thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete