Friday, July 15, 2011

MN Govt. Shutdown Road Trip

Thanks to the Minnesota government shutdown, Steve is laid off for a little while. We had a bit of time on our hands and decided to pack up the Scamp and head to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. We wanted to stay close enough to home to get back if they called him back to work. Our first night was in the Presque Isle Unit of the Porcupine Mountains. Here's our little rig!


Here I am cooking with garlic scapes again. We made steaks on the grill with caramelized onions, mushrooms and garlic scapes.


Steve said, "Do we have a timer to time the steaks?" I said, "I'll bet that smart phone does!" Look at that!


We moseyed on to 12-mile beach at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. We discovered prior to heading up that 12-mile beach was full, so we stopped at Kingston Lake just outside of 12-mile. What a pretty little site! All of the sites were on the water.


We took off at 9:30 the next morning to snag a site at 12-mile beach. Look at our new site!


This was our morning coffee vista:


A ship passed by. Way cool!


I spent lots of time combing the beach for rocks. The first two days were pretty cool (mid 60's?) with no biting flies.


We took a day trip to Grand Marais to see if we could catch a cell signal so that we could see if Steve had to get back to work. Nope, government was still shut down. We ate at this really fun diner.



Here's me cooking inside the Scamp - I was making Tom Kha again.


On the way to 12-mile beach we stopped at a gas station that also said "Art Gallery". They had a shelf inside the station devoted to the local art. I bought a pair of recycled wool mittens that will be perfect for skiing this winter. A fog bank rolled in off Lake Superior and guess what? I had to wear the mittens!! I wrapped up in this blanket next to the fire. The book I was reading was "Cutting for Stone." It was good.


The next day was 90 degrees! We decided to drive and check out Copper Harbor. We'd never been up in that peninsula before. On the way we found Prospector's Paradise where I bought a few cabochon stones to set in copper (I made one this morning, I'll take a photo of it for my next post).


We stayed in a private campground right outside of Copper Harbor. We had our own private creek with no other campers around!


And Steve found the most perfect marshmallow roasting stick of all time.


We heard the governor signed the budget bill. That means it will only be a few days before life returns to normal.

1 comment: