Monday, July 4, 2011

An Eagle and Garlic Scapes

We've had crazy good weather this weekend and have been out bike riding and fishing a lot. We were back on Snowbank Lake yesterday. Look at this! The eagle was actually looking at me when I took this photo!


We were really close and my little Sony cyber-shot camera was able to zoom in for this extra cool image. It was a little hard to keep it in focus given the rocking of the boat and being zoomed in so far.

Shore lunch again on a cute little campsite. I found the best boxed wine is Big House Cardinal Zin. Really, I've tried many boxed wines and this is the best. When you travel into the boundary waters you can't have glass or cans, so having a box of wine to throw in the boat for shore lunch is the way to go. (Just be careful because you have no gauge on how much you have consumed without the bottle to indicate how much is gone. Very dangerous.)


We came across this big rock that looked just like a turtle!


Garlic scapes are ready in our garden. When you grow hard-necked garlic, they will shoot up a stalk that will become a flower if you let it grow. You need to snap those off to keep the energy growing into the garlic bulb beneath the ground. The best part, though, is that you eat the scapes; they taste like a mild garlic!


I've been putting them in everything. Here I decided to make a quick peanut sauce over pasta.


I was in Madison recently and stopped at my favorite Asian grocery. I got Tom Yum paste:


Check the ingredients if you buy this. This one has Soy Bean Oil, Lemon Grass, Shallot, Galanga, Chili, Dried Shrimp, Lime, Kaffir Lime Leaves, and Garlic. Galanga and dried shrimp are key. Those are some of the flavors you just don't find in our supermarkets, but really make Thai dishes have their unique flavor.

I made the peanut sauce out of this Tom Yum Paste, soy sauce, fish sauce, peanut butter, lime juice, and cilantro. I tossed that over some sauted onions, tomatoes, mushrooms and garlic scapes. Yum!

I'll be working in the studio today to get some things ready for the market tomorrow night. Here are some more earrings - these are from an aluminum tray:


And I have a new purse design. This one has two built-in front pockets!

1 comment: