Saturday, May 14, 2011

More Plastic and Goat Milk Whey

We had a cold, rainy day so I decided the best thing to do was set up the ironing board and melt some more plastic! Here are the results:


Next step in the process will be to sew them into my cool bike pouches. That should give me enough inventory to debut them at the farmer's market.

My friend, Pamalot, gave me some goat milk whey to experiment with. Check out her Etsy shop! She has a farm in the woods just down the Kawishiwi Trail. She raises goats and makes and sells goat products like goat milk soaps, gritty scrubs, milk, yogurt, and cheese.


I was making Indian Food for dinner and had the "whey" confused with "curd". I really needed the curd to make paneer. Since I had whey, I thought I'd see what could be done with it. The whey is the leftover liquid from the separation of cheese from the milk. Depending on how the cheese was separated, there is another process you can do to extract ricotta cheese or paneer! Pamalot uses rennet to separate the curds from the whey. Perfect! If she had used vinegar or lemon juice, the resulting whey would be too acidic.

I put the quart of whey on the stove and started heating it to 200 degrees. Once it reaches that temperature, you can see the little curds separating. I had trouble reaching 200 degrees; mine was boiling at about 185. Maybe my thermometer was off.


After straining the liquid through cheese cloth (pretty cool to use cheese cloth to actually make cheese!) I got about three tablespoons of ricotta cheese and more leftover whey.


I looked on line and it said you can use this nutrient-rich whey to bake bread or other baked goods instead of milk or water. I haven't tried it yet, but I will!

1 comment:

  1. Sharee,
    another inspiring blog, fun to read and making me salivate.....Thank You !
    Do you love pancakes? My grandson and I enjoy them all through the year, not just on 'Pancake Day', which is tradition here in UK. I suggest you try your whey for some pancakes !?
    Kiki x

    ReplyDelete