Monday, April 11, 2011

Day One - YELLOW and Chickpea Curry

Day one of the "7 Projects to Snap You out of a Creative Slump"

Today's project is: 
Choose a theme color for the day. Most of what you wear should be that color. Use that color predominantly in any artwork you do. (Do at least one project (or start one) so you have something to post on your blog.)

I chose YELLOW! I chose yellow because it had been raining and was very grey for a while. The first thing I noticed when daylight came was the yellow stripe in the road!


To those of you in the southern states like Wisconsin and Illinois, yes, we still have snow. You see the lake in the background, still frozen. We'll be taking dates for ice-out guesses here soon.

It's amazing how many things are yellow when yellow is in the front of your thoughts.


And then I thought, "What should I make for dinner tonight?" I looked at my cookbooks - guess which one I picked?


Yes, the At Home with Madhur Jaffrey Indian cookbook. I made chickpeas yesterday and used some of them for a happy hour snack (our neighbors just got home from Texas and we had happy hour). I found a recipe in Madhur Jaffrey's cookbook for "Spicy Chickpeas with Potatoes", which is simmering as I write this.

I had to run some errands in town. Here are a few things I got at the grocery store:


CORN! It's from Florida, peppers, and bananas - all yellow. I also bought some plastic storage bins so that I can more efficiently store and transport my purses and bags to the farmers' market this summer. I wasn't even thinking about it, but they're yellow! I guess yellow worked its way into my subconscious.

I made a new necktie purse. My mom found me some really, really cool old vintage wide polyester neckties. I chose one that had mustard yellow stripes. I lined it with a vintage bed sheet cotton lining in yellow and added a bright yellow waffle weave pocket.


I put it in my Etsy shop. If anyone following my blog this week would like to buy something from my Etsy shop, I'm giving a 20% off coupon - use "YELLOW" code at checkout! (does not apply to shipping)

I took in the recycling today. Remember from one of my older posts that we just finished remodeling our bathroom? Well, we want to keep water stains off the tile and someone threw out a squeegee!! And guess what?!! It's yellow!

Now on to supper. I found this wine which had a yellow label to cook with:


Spicy Chickpeas with Potatoes


2 T ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
4 T olive or canola oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
4 cups drained chickpeas
1 1/2 cups water
2 medium boiling potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch dice
salt

Mix together the coriander, cumin, cayenne, turmeric, and 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl.

Saute the onions in oil until lightly browned. Add the garlic and ginger and stir for a minute. Put in the spice mixture and stir for a few seconds. Add the tomatoes. Stir and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the chickpeas and water. Add the potatoes and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer gently until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.

Look at these potatoes - Klondike Rose, they're yellow inside!:


I like to eat this kind of food with parathas. A friend of mine, Pritika, showed me once that if you don't want to make your own parathas, you can substitute lefse!! How cool is that?


Put a litttle bit of ghee in your non-stick skillet:





Once hot, put a sheet of lefse in the pan and let it cook a little to give it that Indian flavor. Flip it to give the other side flavor. Do as many of these as you like. YUM!

And there concludes my day of yellow.

Tomorrow - graffiti!

No comments:

Post a Comment