Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Super Glue and Paella

I was going to talk about how you can use super glue to fix those splits that happen to your fingers, but where did I put those photos? By now the super glue has worked, so I can't re-photo my thumb to show you the split. Suffice it to say that I'm thankful to Ken, my brother-in-law, for letting me in on this trucker secret. If you are intrigued and curious to know more (or if you, yourself are suffering from a split and need the antidote) let me know.

Meanwhile, I went to Blue Moon Thrift Store to see what was new. Someone dumped a bunch of stuff on their doorstep. Too bad because it's not a dump, it's a thrift store, they might be picky in what they'd like to sell. Come on people! I found this piece of fabric that was going to get tossed.
In a future post I'll show you what I make from it. Notice the background lavender and gold? That's my new ironing board cover! I bought it from an Etsy seller, CityChicCountryMouse. I know most of you wouldn't be excited about an ironing board cover - but I'm using it a lot! It's so nice to have my studio looking fresh and springy.

I decided to make paella - but a fast, streamlined version. You need chorizo to make it. Of course, we can't find that in Ely, but when we were in Hibbing a couple of weeks ago we swung into the Walmart and they had it. I almost didn't buy it because you will not believe what's in this chorizo!
Ingredients as stated on the package: Pork (salivary glands, lymph nodes, fat (cheeks)), chorizo seasoning (paprika, salt, spices, mustard, garlic powder), vinegar, textured soy flour, sodium nitrite.

Are you kidding me? I bet there are lots of things like this out there but they just say "pork" and don't enumerate. I don't know, I guess if you're eating meat at all, you might as well eat the cheeks and the lymph nodes. Why be picky?

Tim and I tried tripe at the Publican restaurant in Chicago a few New Year's ago. We probably won't order it again. But when Steve and I were in Grand Marais last fall we ordered pork belly appetizer from The Crooked Spoon and it rocked the house! Turns out I LOVE belly!

Here's the wine I used to cook with. It was outstanding!! It's my new favorite (again, none actually goes into the food).

Easy Paella - adapted from Gourmet Cookbook

1/4 cup olive oil
1 T cumin seeds
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped (I didn't have one so I went without)
2 (3 to 4 oz) links Spanish chorizo quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4 in thick slices (the stuff I used was more like goo, maybe like ground beef or something) If anyone out there knows what real chorizo is, please point me to it.
4 cups cold cooked long grain rice
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 10 oz pkg frozen peas
1/3 cup hulled pumpkin seeds (I used pecans)
1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (Judy- we have to get Roland to try cilantro again, otherwise, leave it out)
1 lb Shrimp

Heat oil in a pot until hot but not smoking. Add cumin and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add chorizo, increase heat to moderately high, and cook, stirring, until sausage begins to brown, about 3 minutes.

Add rice, crumbing it to break up lumps, and salt. Cook, stirring, until some grains of rice being to run golden, about 3 minutes. Add peas and cook , stirring just until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in pumpkin seeds and cilantro.

We added shrimp, too. It works best to saute the shrimp in some olive oil and salt and then stir it into the paella at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment