Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Deer, Craft Fair, and Gnocchi

Look what I saw out of the kitchen window this morning! I watched her nibble a little at the grass and then lay down for a nap. She's out there right now as I write this!


Good thing Tansy is napping. She's waiting for Steve to wake up. He's sleeping in because he caught a cold. Poor guy. He also caught more crappies yesterday while I was at the craft fair in Duluth. Yum!! We'll eat them tonight for supper.

I was on the road by 6:30 yesterday morning to get to the craft fair location by 8:30 to set up. It was in Duluth, MN at the Unitarian church between the College of St. Scholastica and University of MN Duluth. Beautiful building with a little atrium and waterfall and pond inside. The show was called "Treasures of the Earth". Wow! What gorgeous creations people had! They really had nice displays, too.

My new zipper pulls were a hit!


It was a very needed road trip and day spent out in the world. I'm glad I went. NEXT - on to melting plastic!! I'll tell you about that in my next post when I get a little further along with it.

Now for the gnocchi attempt. I'm not even going to give you the recipe this time because it needs refinement and once I figure out the tricks, I'll tell you. Right now all you'll get is a mess! I was able to end up with really tasty food - but what a mess!

Gnocchi is pasta made from boiled russet potatoes and flour (3 lb potatoes, 1 large egg, 2 cups flour). Here is what it looks like as I roll out the dough:


Then you make little dumpling-like things:


You're supposed to flick these on the end of a fork to give them little grooves to hold the sauce later, but I was in a hurry and was a little tired of the mess already.

Dump these into boiling salted water until the float (about 3 minutes) and drain them well. Toss with olive oil and they will keep in the fridge for a few days until you're ready to eat them! We ate ours right away. I made a tomato sauce and then stirred the gnocchi into the sauce along with some mozzarella cubes and shredded basil.


Very rustic looking but wow oh wow was it ever good! Now just to get that dough right (it was really good, but why in the world would it be that sticky and messy? I'll work on it.)

1 comment:

  1. Love the zipper pulls! It's funny, I was just thinking about making gnocchi this weekend!

    ReplyDelete